The purpose of this role is to support candidates, volunteers and professional colleagues in campaigning in the county council and mayoral elections in May 2017. Through office-based work you ensure the smooth running of our operation. Through outreach to candidates, ward teams and new volunteers you increase our campaigning capacity.
The key activities are:
- Be a helpful encouraging presence in the office to provide regular opening hours for people calling in.
- Prepare material for campaigning teams, for ongoing ward campaigning and for larger scale campaigning action days including data for canvassers
- Co-ordinate the administration teams who do computer and other office work
- Ensure the office is kept tidy
- Co-ordinate the organisation of printing and distribution of literature on behalf of the Campaign Manager (leaflets) and candidates (street letters)
Volunteer and candidate support
- Be a key communication point for candidates and division campaign teams
- Continue to lead the project to activate the Cherry Hinton division
- Engage and activate new volunteers to grow our activist network
- Make phone calls and organise phone banks to encourage more participation in campaigning
Essential experience / characteristics:
- Committed to the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats
- Personable, friendly, calm character able to juggle lots of demands from different people
- Available and willing to work some (limited) unsocial hours
- Able to show initiative in helping to solve problems for campaigners
- Good phone manner
- A facility with computer systems, including using databases
- Quick to learn
- Flexible and willing to help on a variety of tasks
Desirable experience and characteristics:
- Experience of campaigning in Cambridge and / or the surrounding area
- Experience of campaigning with the Liberal Democrats
- Knowledge of the local political issues and priorities
This post is employed by Cambridge Liberal Democrats and is part of the overall campaign team for elections for Cambridgeshire County Council and for the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough mayor.
This is a fixed term contract until 15th May. The hours for this role are negotiable and paid at £8.45 per hour. You may choose to combine it with one of the other roles we have advertised and we can discuss how this would fit together for you and for the party.
Free accommodation in or near Cambridge is likely to be available.
The period beyond polling day on May 4th allows time for you to help us get back to normal non-election operations. We may, by mutual agreement, increase your hours running up to polling day and reduce those in the time after May 4th.
Working hours each week both require and offer some flexibility but we want to provide regular office opening hours, ideally for three afternoons a week up to 6pm so that people can collect literature.
Additional hours should not be worked and will not be paid without the explicit agreement of both the Chair and either the Vice-Chair or the Treasurer of Cambridge Liberal Democrats. As this is a time limited and part-time role you will work these hours and accrue holiday which will be paid at the end of the contract. You will be based at the party’s office at 15 Ronald Rolph Court, Wadloes Road, Cambridge.
Applications including a CV and a single side cover letter should be sent to email@example.com. The deadline for application is midnight on Monday 6th March. Interviews will be held on Thursday 9th March with successful applicants starting their employment ASAP after this date.